Ang4him - A Moment in My Life

Share in the struggles, triumphs and laughter of raising three children,
and homeschooling while working full-time.


Saturday, September 27, 2008

Breast Milk Ice Cream

Here is a very interesting article I came across this morning. Apparently PETA has written a letter to Ben & Jerry's asking them to consider using breast milk instead of cow's milk to make their ice cream. They claim cow's milk is hazardous and it is cruel to milk cows.

Here is the link to the article - Mama's milk ice cream, anyone?

I admit, my first reaction was "EW!" But at the same time I did breast feed each of my three children for a short period and I know it has some very good qualities to it. However, it is just weird!

To be honest there are a couple groups that I tend to automatically discount any ideas that come from them. PETA being one of those groups (Planned Parenthood is another). Not that I have anything against treating animals humanely, but I do have some major issues with how extreme PETA is.

I'm also curious what this would mean for us. In the end wouldn't this create the same issue PETA is claiming for the cows, but with humans? My imagination is running wild with the implications of this for the women who are trying to produce the milk for the ice cream and the consequences that may follow in order to produce the necessary quanitities.

So, here is my question - what do you think of this? I'd be curious to hear the opinions of others regarding breast milk ice cream.

3 comments:

Daiquiri said...

I can't quite get past "Ew". I mean seriously...EEEWWW!

And yeah...it's not nice to milk cows, but it's okay to milk...us?!

Oh yeah, and EW!

Rebecca said...

I wouldn't eat or drink anything made from another woman's breast milk - I can barely stomach a cow's milk...

Ruth said...

Hmm... it seems really gross at first... but maybe??

Ruth xx