Ang4him - A Moment in My Life

Share in the struggles, triumphs and laughter of raising three children,
and homeschooling while working full-time.


Friday, February 20, 2009

In Rememberance of Sierra


This week we lost our beloved pet and friend, Sierra. My husband had given her to me in December 1997 as a birthday/Christmas/Graduation present. I still remember him putting her in my hand (that is not a typo, it is hand, not hands). She was just an adorable ball of fur that fit in one of my hands.


Last night we went through a bunch of old photos looking for one that we can use for a memorial. In the past years she has become totallly blind and has been having skin issues. I've heard this is something that is a bit normal for the breed. In the past month she had become senile as well. So, this was expected but was still really hard. We've had her for over 11 years, my kids have always had her in their lives. So it was nice to go through old photos and remember times when she was a healthy young dog.


My daughter took it the hardest as she is the one who remembers her before she started to have problems. They are all asking about getting another pet, but I think at this time we will be holding off for a bit.


So, this is in rememberance of our dear friend, a member of our family. She was a protector of our family. Not more than 10 pounds but she would have gone after anyone who tried to ever harm our family. I still remember her going after a Great Dane once when the dog made the mistake of barking in my direction.


I still find myself looking for her each day and think I hear her at night when the house gets quiet. I know it was time for her to go and it is what was best for her, but there is still a part of me that wonders if there was more we could have done for her. She was greatly loved and will be dearly missed.


No comments: